Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Gay because of abuse? Puh-leez

My therapist appointment went well last week. She reminds me of a previous therapist....the one that was so great. She didn't make me feel like a horrible person or anything like that. She took down a bit of my history...which is quite extensive. She took everything in stride though...from the abuse and me finding out at age 15 that I was adopted, to suicide attempts, SSA, alcoholism, and hospitalizations.. The only thing I didn't like was that she basically told me that the abuse is what caused me to feel SSA. She asked about abuse...so I told her. She asked if I had ever been married or engaged. I told her that I was engaged, broke up with him when I found out he was a pedophile, and that he later raped me. That's all it took for her to determine that since men have hurt me, that MUST be why I'm attracted to women. However, she didn't ask if I had ever had positive relationships with men, like the one I shared with my grandfather. Nor did she ask me if I had ever been hurt by women. When she made this startling revelation, I simply nodded and said, Oh, OK. I think tomorrow though, I'm going to tell her how I feel. I think it scares people, especially church members that we may actually be born this way. I watched a news program a while back that showed girls that were frilly vs. tomboys. Years later, most of the frilly girls turned out to be straight and almost most of the tomboys were lesbians. One may be able to argue that I didn't like wearing dresses due to having been sexually abused as a young child. (It does leave one feeling exposed.) However, I don't see how it is possible to assume that I liked to play with He-man and transformers (and hated Barbie) because of abuse. I mean, Come on!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

Yeah I agree, it's pretty dumb.

So this therapist is an LDS therapist? I've had some good ones and a not so good one.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Latter-gay-saint said...

iwonder,

Yes, she is an LDS therapist. This is my first experience with an LDS therapist.

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home