Sunday, November 26, 2006

Guilt

Today in Sacrament meeting, the high councilman spoke. One thing that he said that really stuck out to me is that we are not supposed to use guilt to get people to do the right thing because that is satan's tool. That hit me pretty hard. I've used that on Ellen numerous times, most of the time not even consciously. If I try to get her to go to church, and she won't, I don't go either and then I end up upset at myself later, which makes her feel bad.

I took the sacrament today for the first time in months. It felt so good. I felt the Spirit very strongly. It was awesome. Here is a poem I wrote.

The Sacrament

The pain I've felt
and all the guilt
Reminds me now
of the blood He spilt

He gave His life
so that I might live
If I will repent
and follow Him.

As I partake
of the bread and water
I think of Christ
and of the Father.

I can feel my sins
being washed away
Now, just as clean
as that very first birthday.

I humbly thank
the Lord, my God
And ask Him to help me
hold to the rod.

Since all my sins
were swept away,
The Spirit can guide me
day by day.

Now I'll go out
and do His will
Then, all His promises
He will fulfill.

I am very thankful for the Gospel. I am thankful for the knowledge that I have of His love and support. I could not make it through the trials which I face if it were not for that knowledge.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All due respect to your high councilor, but why? Guilt, it seems to me, has often been referenced as a way to tap your conscience, the Light of Christ, or some wholly appropriate motivation for positive change.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Latter-gay-saint said...

I don't know. You do bring up a good point though. I'll have to ask him next time I see him. He is in a different ward than I, but we are still in the same building.

Perhaps it's when a person is using guilt and not God using the Holy Ghost to produce those feelings.....not sure though.

LGS

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home